HostPapa is a Canadian-based web hosting company. It is independently-run company that specializes on hosting for small business and individuals. It bills itself as a cost-effective alternative to expensive hosting services, but is HostPapa as good as advertised or are you better off with other companies? All these and more are revealed in our Hostpapa Hosting review.
There are three plans to choose from:
- Starter: this plan hosts 2 websites, 100 GB disk space and unlimited bandwidth. You get 100 email accounts, free apps for WordPress, Joomla, etc. and the HostPapa Website Builder Starter Edition. Intrusion detection, monitoring and firewall are also included. Chat, email and phone support are included.
- Business: website hosting, disk space, email accounts and bandwidth are unlimited, plus all the features in the starter plan.
- Business Pro: has all the features of the Business plan, plus you get the HostPapa Website Builder Unlimited Edition. Security features are enhanced, and you get a free 30 minute training session. This feature is also included with the Business plan.
Its Facebook Page Creator is available for the Business Pro plan, allowing you to place your business in Facebook. You can also design the website so it is fully optimized for mobile use. And if you’re engaged in e-commerce, HostPapa comes complete with online store creation tools.
Performance and Usability
Uptime guarantee is 99.9%, and there are no hidden fees. Free domain name registration is provided, and with a shared web hosting account you can manage unlimited domains and websites. Do you already have a website on another provider? No problem, as HostPapa will take care of it for free.
There are hundreds of free applications for Drupal, Joomla and WordPress, and the 1-click script simplifies installation. For those new to website building or you just want to focus on content generation, these are essential features.
The free website builders get the job done. The interface is drag and drop, so you just drag the elements on the page and move them around until you’re satisfied. There are also maps, social media buttons, contact forms and other widgets to simplify your work. Templates are also available to speed things up.
Building a website is straightforward: choose a plan, and once you’ve created an account just launch the website builder. Select one of the templates, drag and drop content and you’re done. The website builder has a lot of tools, but the interface is well-designed and it’s easy to organize the pages. The editor is WYSIWYG, but if you’re an advanced user, you can customize your site using HTML and CSS codes.
- All plans have unlimited data transfers
- Lots of help for new users
- Server add-ons available
- Powerful shared plans
- Good customer support
- Doesn’t have managed WordPress hosting
- Single month shared hosting option unavailable
For small businesses and personal use, Hostpapa will more than suffice. It doesn’t have the bells and whistles other web hosting companies, but if you’re just starting out and don’t need fancy features, you’ll save time and money with this hosting service.